If you’re an individual suffering from leg discomfort this will be the most important thing you read today.
- Leg discomfort
- Itching of the lower limbs
- Heaviness in the legs
- Throbbing & burning
- Worsened pain in the legs after prolonged sitting & standing
- Varicose veins
What causes these unwanted symptoms?
Believe or not, approximately 23% of individuals in the United States have vein disease called venous insufficiency.
This disease is often misunderstood & misdiagnosed with the following:
- Diabetes (color changes)
- Renal disease
- Restless Leg Syndrome
This slows the time it takes for you to get the proper treatment.
If you suspect you have it, don’t worry! By reading this article you will be informed about what to look for and how to get the proper treatment.
Let’s look at the top 3 signs of vein disease below.
Sign #1 Varicose Veins or Discoloration in Skin
Take a look at your legs.
Do you have veins that protrude from beneath your skin? This is a visual indicator that you may have vein disease.
Varicose veins are bulging veins, often bluish or purple in color. The smaller versions are called spider veins.
How does vein disease make you get these unsightly veins?
The answer is blood flow.
Allow me to explain.
In your legs, you have two sets of veins. You have deep veins and superficial veins.
Deep veins are in the deeper part of the leg where the muscles are, and superficial veins are right under the skin.
In a normal person, the blood would circulate from the feet towards the heart in both sets of veins.
When someone has a venous insufficiency the blood will actually go up the deep veins and then go backwards into the superficial vein.
The blood will start pooling in the superficial veins.
Since the superficial veins are closest to the skin, they will start to bulge and create varicose veins.
To spot this disease a vein specialist will perform an ultrasound of your legs examining the flow of your blood and the diameter of your vein.
See our basic infographic below to better understand the process.
Please Note: We often see patients who have had inadequate ultrasounds performed by other medical offices & specialists. This is because examining blood flow in your legs requires specialized training.
If you are experiencing these unwanted symptoms and have had an ultrasound before we highly recommend you seek a second opinion if the issues have not been resolved.
Sign #2 Legs Feel Like You’re Dragging Cinder Blocks
It’s not uncommon for your leg to feel tired and sore after a long day of activity or a strenuous workout.
What’s NOT normal is feeling frequently fatigued after light activity.
Coming back from a trip to the supermarket, and feeling like you just walked through miles of snow.
What’s going on here?
Venous insufficiency goes much deeper than just the surface of the skin. It’s a plumbing problem that can stop you in your tracks.
When your legs suffer from a circulatory problem, blood begins to pool in your legs. This may cause your legs to feel heavier than normal. It can also cause itching, cramping and aching.
Sign #3 Swelling Around Ankles and Legs
The ankles and legs are common sites of swelling because of gravity’s effect on the fluids in the human body. However, fluid retention from gravity isn’t the only cause of swollen ankles or legs.
It’s also one of the most common signs of vein disease.
Why is that?
Poor circulation in the legs is caused by faulty vein valves that do not pump the blood up towards the heart. This causes the blood to pool like a stagnant pond that results in swollen ankles and legs.
How to Eliminate Leg Pain?
Imagine living the life you always wanted. Doing the activities you want to do. Spending time with family and friends. Getting back to hobbies you used to enjoy.
It starts by having a strong foundation. It starts by having healthy legs.
Vein Disease can be treated with a gentle, minimally invasive procedure called radiofrequency ablation.
A device is placed into a diseased vein under ultrasound guidance through a small opening in the skin. The small device delivers heat to the vein wall, causing it to shrink and seal closed. The whole process takes only 30 minutes!
Once the diseased vein is closed, blood will reroute itself to other healthy veins. You can get back to doing what you love the very same day! It’s that easy.
This quick and pain free treatment is covered by insurance.
No more pain, no more unhealthy vein!
Now that you know the solution, what’s the next step?
Choosing the right vein specialist.
Why Elite Vein Clinic?
We follow the three “C’s”.
- You have the ability to book an appointment for yourself, online.
- We will send emails and text reminders when it’s close to your appointment time.
- Because we anticipate your arrival, you can expect your wait time to be minimal.
- As soon as you schedule an ultrasound you will receive a confirmation email with what to expect during your first appointment.
- Pricing transparency of our healthcare services will immediately be provided should you need treatment. That means calculating your out of pocket cost if there is one.
- We will provide you with a full step-by-step plan so you will know exactly how we will eliminate pain and embarrassment in your legs.
- You will be treated with the utmost care and respect by our physicians and staff.
- We’re here to make you feel understood and heard.
- We know your legs are making living uncomfortable. Allow us to get you back to living life again.
Don’t just take our word for it. Listen to what some of our patients had to say:
So now that you understand us, let us understand YOU.
Don’t take another step with leg pain again. Be part of the success today!
Dr. Nima Azarbehi
Latest posts by Dr. Nima Azarbehi (see all)
- Top 3 Signs of Vein Disease (do you have it?) - March 3, 2021
- Best Compression Stockings for Varicose Veins - October 11, 2020
- Varicose Veins: Causes, Treatment, Diagnosis, and Prevention - September 11, 2020